Saturday, September 11, 2010

I'm Slipping

Okay, I apologize in advance for the woeful lack of pictures.  Camera shopping has begun.  I've found the one I want, now I just have to make the Bionic Man think it's the one he wants, too.  But I'm just about ready to bust my buttons, here, so I had to share--pictures or no pictures! 

Guess what I did today?

I slipcovered a chair!

Now, don't get the wrong idea.  I'm no sewing genius, trust me.  Remember?  I can't make anything with zippers or buttons.  I'm clueless.  But I think that is why it has worked out so well.  I just grabbed one of my trusty canvas drop cloths, a bunch of pins, my pinking shears, and dove on in.  No pattern, no clue, no assistance.  It was thrilling, I tell you, thrilling!  I felt like the Lewis and Clark of Upholstery.  (Only they had Sacajewea.  I didn't.)

I did have some guidance from The Nester.  She provided some very handy pictures that guided me along the way.  Like this:
Thanks to the Nester's recommendation, I checked out Pink and Polka Dot for more inspiration and ideas.  Wow, she does all kinds of things with slipcovers!  She even has a weekly slipcover party, where I found lots and lots of slipcovered beauties on which to gaze.

While I saw lots of neat things along the way, the Nester's pictures were my constant companion throughout my day of slipcovering madness.  Speaking of madness, don't ask me to try to explain why I chose a wing-back chair as my very first piece of furniture to sew a slipcover for.  It couldn't be a footstool, could it?

I've shut down my sweat shop for the weekend, and I'll have to finish on Monday.  I've finished the hard part--the body is sewn, but on Monday I need to cover the cushion and finish off the hem.  I'm thinking a ruffled hem is the way it has to be.  Ruffled canvas is such a contradiction that I'm sure it will work.  I'm so excited! 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about all of your little (or big) sewing projects. I am a seamstress wannabe. I am dreaming of the day I can get a sewing machine and create many masterpieces too. Someday.....I had to buy a camera first...a little pricey for the budget but by do I love it.

    Can't wait to see photos of your finished projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i look so skinny in that top photo! hope your slips go well!

    ReplyDelete