Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dessert

I have an anonymous quote on the front of my menu planning binder that reads, "Stressed is dessert spelled backwards.  Coincidence?  I think not!"

I'll give you a moment to ponder that one.

I grew up in a home where some form of dessert was served every night.  Dessert ranged from applesauce sprinkled with crushed graham crackers, to canned fruit in a pretty dish, to delicious made from scratch cakes.  Looking back, I'm impressed that my mom went to such effort.

I don't.  We don't eat dessert every night at our house, but when we do, we definitely enjoy it.  Here was a recent diet-day-off dessert that I invented.
(Mangoes were on sale at our local grocery store, can you tell?)
Mango Peach Crisp

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh or frozen peaches (thawed, if frozen)
1-2 cups fresh or frozen mango (thawed, if frozen)
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups crushed graham crackers (about 6 large crackers)
1/4 cup white or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
dash cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
Whipped topping, cream, or vanilla ice cream (optional)

Directions:

Spray a deep baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.  If necessary, cut fruit into chunks.  Place fruit chunks into baking dish.  Lightly toss with orange juice and almond extract.

In a mix bowl, stir crushed graham cracker crumbs, flour, brown sugar, almonds, and cinnamon together.  Add melted butter, stirring until all crumbs are moistened.  Pour crumb mixture over fruit, spreading evenly.

Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes.  Remove foil for the last 15 minutes so that crumb topping will be slightly browned.  

Serve warm with the topping of your choice.  We drizzled heavy whipping cream over ours.
Visit thecsiproject.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow... mangos AND peaches... sounds delightful! Just the thought of it drizzled with cream is making my mouth water. I love that quote too!

    ReplyDelete