Here she is!
I had a lot of fun with this one. Let me tell you her story.
Once upon a time last week, I dropped by Goodwill to check in on the glass. I was in the mood for making more apothecary jars--and possibly some cake stands, too--for my new sewing room. On the way to the glass aisle, I passed the Wall of Dresses. I rarely ever give the Wall of Dresses anything more than a passing glance. Usually that passing glance lands upon someone's old bridesmaid dress, and I have a quiet giggle.
This time, however, was different. My passing glance paused upon these two dresses.
I gasped. It was true! She was meant to be an apron. I couldn't leave her there on the Wall of Dresses, to be taken home and worn to summer soirees as the dress she was never supposed to be. No, it was up to me to restore her to her rightful life as an apron. She begged me to take along her pretty little friend with the embroidery, too.
I don't think her friend was supposed to be an apron, but apparently she wasn't reaching her full potential as a dress. I mean, look: she still had her price tag attached. She'd never been worn.
The price tag is marked $58.00. Score!
So I took her home to my sewing room, too, and prepared to give these two beauties new life. As aprons!
(Um, sorry if I'm giving you the creeps. Sometimes my imagination runs away with me. Plus, I have an English degree. I can turn any event into a novel, even a trip to Goodwill.)
I started with the pretty pastel dress. First, I used my seam ripper to take the two halves of the dress apart and pull off the zipper.
Anyway, I felt a slight twinge of guilt as I deconstructed this never-before-worn dress, but it was very slight. I mean, seriously, it was $4.99 at Goodwill. I decided I could actually make two aprons out of this one dress! What a steal!
The bodice of this dress has boning in it. I decided to leave it in, just to give the apron some unexpected structure. I'm sure that if I had wanted to, I could have taken that out easily.
Once I'd deconstructed the dress, I picked one half to repurpose as an apron. I chose the front. I pinned the ripped seams back on their original folds, and stitched them down with my machine. Bonus that these seams were serged already.
Next, I made the strap for the neck of my apron and the two apron ties. I decided on a single, adjustable strap. (How adjustable it will be since my sewing machine doesn't do button holes remains to be seen.) I measured and cut out the fabric accordingly: one strip of 3-1/2" x 14" (on the fold) for the strap, 2 strips of 6-1/2" x 22" (on the fold) for the apron ties.
Every good apron needs a pocket and deserves a little embellishment. So, I cut out a rectangle of fabric for my pocket. I trimmed the pocket using one of the removable straps from the former dress and sewed it into place.
Heather Bailey's tutorial.
Don't forget to enter the giveaway so that this darling apron will find a home! Click here to enter the giveaway....you have until tonight, May 25th, at 9 P.M. EST to enter.
I'm linking up to these parties