Friday, March 5, 2010

Sew Fun

I've finally gotten around to those sewing projects I mentioned a while back.  At least, some of them.  And I added a few more.  Want to see what I've done so far?

Here's my mom's belated birthday gift.  Go ahead and peek, Mom, so you know I really haven't forgotten your birthday.  My excuse is that Hunter chewed up the brown thread before I finished, and it has taken me a while to go back to the fabric store to find more!

My mom loves aprons, and recently I've made a discovery: I love them, too!  I can't wait to make one for me, next.  I had so much fun finding the fabric for this one.

Isn't that fruit fabric perfect for an apron?  The ribbon I trimmed this with is my favorite ribbon ever.  I use it for my girls' hair bows all the time.  I really love how that pink stitching complements the striped fabric.

I've got lots of picture's of my mom's apron because--guess what?  IT'S REVERSIBLE!

Isn't that clever?  Don't look too closely, or you'll see what an amateur I am.  I'm not too big on patterns, measuring, or straight lines.  Yep, I've got some mad sewing skilz.  But I have fun and I sew like the wind.  (Thanks, Three Amigos!)


I finished three sewing projects last night.  (Sigh.  Yes, the Bionic Man had a business trip this week.  I have to do something to while away the lonely hours.)  The apron was first, then I made a twirly skirt and matching top for Superkid.  She's wearing them right now at school, so I'll have to show those to you later.  Update:  I blogged about the twirly skirt here, and here's one quick pic in the meantime:



My third project, sewn to completion, is this top I made for me.

Love the fabric on this one, too.

Got it at JoAnn's with my 40% off coupon.  Total cost: $7.  Yeehaw!  I plan to wear it with some of my layering tees and cardigans.  I'd model it for you, but I don't think you'd appreciate the way I look the morning after a late night of sewing.  (Yikes, what have I become?  Quickly, someone stage an intervention!  A late night of sewing?)  Trust me, it is very cute.

Thanks to two talented seamstresses/bloggers for the inspiration!  You can check out Shelley's apron tutorial at 7 Layer Studio.  After reading Lindsey's post on her blog The Pleated Poppy about the Amelia shirt she made, I realized I could refashion the same pillowcase dresses I'd made for my daughters as tops for me!  What fun!  (I'm having a hard time getting the specific link to this particular post, but Lindsey has so many great things on her blog, you'll have fun looking!)

I'll be working on the girls' Easter outfits next week!  Wish me luck.....

2 comments:

  1. That apron is so cute. Did the ribbon already have the stitches in it? Otherwise, WOW! What, amateurish? Not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. You look pretty talented to me. The apron is adorable--I'm sure your mom will love it!

    ReplyDelete