Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Faux Sourdough

The other day, my lovely friend, Maren, shared some delightful news with me (CONGRATULATIONS BRAD and MAREN!!!) and was nice enough to say that she and her husband enjoyed my whole wheat pizza recipe.  Which reminded me.....wasn't I going to do a whole series on
Whole Wheat:
It's Not Just for Breakfast

?????

Ahem.  So, we now....after a long, long, long time....return to the second edition of
Whole Wheat:
It's Not Just for Breakfast
with one of my all-time favorite recipes.
Hold it, right there!  Don't let the fact that this is a bread recipe intimidate you.  You make it in a bread machine....and it takes a whopping five minutes to assemble the ingredients and throw them into the machine.

All you do is put these ingredients into your bread machine pan, in the order they are listed:

2/3 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon white sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour, finely ground (for more info on that, go here)
2 cups white flour
2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Once the ingredients are in the bread machine pan, put the pan in the machine and select the basic or white bread setting.  Bake according to your bread machine directions.  Check the dough after 5 minutes of initial mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if necessary.)

Here's the all-white variation: use 3 cups white flour (omit whole wheat) and use 2-1/4 teaspoons yeast.  Everything else stays the same.
Faux sourdough comes out of the pan looking a little more rounded than loaf shape.  It is very rustic looking.  I LOVE sourdough bread, and this is a way to get the sourdough taste without all the complications of using a sourdough starter.  The combination of vinegar and sourcream--though it may sound disgusting--really produces an authentic sourdough taste.  This recipe produces one 1.5 lb loaf.  My family of five can finish 2/3 - 3/4 of it in one meal.

I love to pop this bread into my machine a few hours before dinner, so that we have a hot loaf ready to eat.  It is the only proper accompaniment to soup.

The only downside to this recipe is that, because you make it in a bread machine, you can only make one loaf at a time.  If anyone out there knows how to adapt a bread machine recipe to a multi-loaf, baked in the oven bread recipe, please let me know!
Enjoy! 

 

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a bread maker. So - I doubled your recipe, mixed the wet ingredients first (up to/not including salt), added two cups of flour, mixed, then added the rest of the flour a cup at a time until it was dough - really stiff dough. I let it rise, punched down and made two round loaves that I let rise again. Baked a 350 for around 20 minutes - they were great - but small loaves, I wonder if they would have risen more with a little more water or if I had mixed it differently in the beginning - maybe add the yeast to the warm water and then add the rest of the ingredients? Anyway - it worked! Good bread. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete