Monday, December 21, 2009

Go to Bed!

My children are out of school all this week.  I am being completely honest when I say that I love it when they are home from school on a good, long, break.  I love summer vacation, too.  I'm not the most structured person, so there is something really appealing to me about the absolute freedom from schedules and the rush of getting everyone off to school and other activities.  I get a natural high from the power of being able to say things like, "Kids, we're going to spend the whole day in our jammies and we are going to read all the books we want.  We're having a readathon!" 

Doesn't that sound marvelous to you?  Mmmm, me too!  Let's do it today!  After we do all the things we need to to get ready for Christmas.....

Anyway, there are some things you just can't do with your children when school's in session.  Like staying up late.  Children really, really need their rest when school is in session.  The fact of the matter is, they need their rest when school isn't in session, as well.  Which brings me to the point of today's post:  I like it when my children go to bed

I like it when my children go to bed and it is just the Bionic Man and I.  I treasure the time we spend together after the children are in bed, tucked safely away for the night.  I have worked really hard to train my children that bedtime is bedtime--whether they are sleepy or not--and once I tell them goodnight, they are on their own.  (So to speak.)  Justone and Endeavor have totally got the hang of this.  Superkid is still trying to test our boundaries, but she is learning. 

It's not just about couple time, either.  Giving your children adequate rest is practically the foundation of preventative discipline.  They are just so much easier to handle when they are well rested.  I don't think any mother could argue with me on that point.

There is only one problem.  The Bionic Man loves it when school is out, too.  Only he's not home during the day to enjoy the special freedoms of school being out.  He has to enjoy them in the evenings.  Which means he likes to let the children stay up late.

He, obviously, is not the one spending the next day with tired children.

Does anyone else have this problem?  How do you deal with it?  I mean, besides putting your foot down and telling your husband that late night fun with the children is totally out of the question.  (Because I totally get where he is coming from.)Do you have a way to get older children to take naps?  Do you have a way to get younger children to sleep in?  I'd love some input.....Christmas break is just beginning.

And now, I unveil to you the driving force behind this post.  My Fair Lady!  



I love this musical so much that it inspired Endeavor's real name.  I think it is hilarious when people comment on her name, "Oh, is that a family name?'  Because it isn't!  But it could be....if our last name was Doolittle.

No comments:

Post a Comment